Agile technologist, with a focus in social video content creation and monetization. Results-oriented leader with a proven track-record in content development and multi-platform distribution Broad experience in account and relationship management, print and broadcast media, social and mobile strategy and influencer outreach. Widely acknowledged as the father of User-Generated Content. Holds two patents in the areas of video curation and video monetization technology. Best-selling author and public speaker.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
OTT/SVOD/Video, Digital Media, Multiplatform Storytelling, Mobile First Product Development, Audience Development and Engagement, Strategic Partnerships.
Social Media (Twitter,FB, TikTok, Instagram), Video Content, Blog and Video Blog producer, OBS Platform, WordPress, Final Cut (7,10), Photoshop, YouTube, Amazon Video.
Executive Director / NYC Media Lab @NYU
NYC Media Lab connects media and technology companies with New York City’s universities to drive innovation, entrepreneurship and talent development. A public-private partnership launched by the New York City Economic Development Corporation.
Managing Director / NYC Media Lab
NYC Media Lab funds projects and programs that foster collaboration across an array of disciplines and emerging technologies.
Oaklins DeSilva + Phillips | Senior Advisor 2017 – Present –
Chosen to grow video practice of highly respected boutique investment bank – D+P has advised on more than 300 transactions valued at over $11 billion. – Focused on growing digital and traditional media, advertising & marketing
TED Residency 2017 – 2017
– Member, TED 2017.
– Chosen for highly competitive Residency program
– Offered to give TED Talk about my search topic: “Fake News”
– Coaching other residents as to how to use social media, podcasting, influencer marketing
Progress News Network | Executive Producer
Waywire Networks 2013 – 2017
• Curator In Chief
– Acquired company from now US Senator Cory Booker and his investors
– Conceived, Designed, Tested, and Launched unique narrowcast video network
– Grew team of content experts, created curator network.
New York City: Economic Development Corporation 2011 – 2014
• NYC EDC Entrepreneur at Large
– Worked with Bloomberg Administration to strengthen NY tech community
– Met with local entrepreneurs, helped them engage city government resources.
– Attended city events as a representative of EDC
– Held office hours at workspaces includingWeWork, BMWi Incubator, Varick St. Incubator
– Created and launched “Virtual Office Hours” for EDC with Google Hang Outs
– Led nomination process for NYC Venture Fellows
Magnify SaaS 2010 – 2013
• Head of Sales / Product Lead
To meet market opportunities, the consumer self-serve Magnify UGC platform pivoted to a cloud-based SaaS offering. Leading the review and implementation, grew sales from $0 to almost $2m landing “A” list clients including: Patagonia, AARP, New York Magazine, TEDx, CES Columbia University, Time Out NY, CES, Mediaite, Haymarket, Penton, Rodale, Boston Magazine, The Sands Casino, The Root, Gay Ad Network and Outdoor Life.
• Worldwide growth grew by174% in six months
• Page views totaled 15,745,953, a 23.71% increase
• Raised round of venture and debt financing
Magnify UGC Platform 2007- 2010
*Co-Founder / Chief Evangelist
After recognizing the need for more internet video, conceived the process of video curation, wireframed the platform, recruited a CTO, raised seed financing – and launched the company at the widely acclaimed DEMO conference in Scottsdale Az.
• Increased sales 90% YOY, bringing venture-backed company to CFBO in 3 years
• Provided curated content from providers including YouTube, AOL, NBC, Conde Nast, BBC News, Reuters, Brightcove, DailyMotion, Vimeo, Metacafe, Veoh, eHow, and Blip.tv
• Raised angel funding, grew revenue, users, and traffic. Raised A and B rounds
Broadcast News Networks 2000 – 2006
• Founder, Editor In Chief
– Grew statewide syndicated television business (ad supported) BROADCAST: New York
– Drove sales from launch to exceed 5.4 m – driven by direct sales and marketing.
– Won two Emmys for original regional programming.
– Invented User-Generated News, created Viewers News segment for BNN
– Conceived, pitched, sold “MTV-Unfiltered” to the Viacom owned music channel
– Grew company to 140 employees, providing long-form TV to HBO, A&E, Discovery, CNN,
Court TV, VH1, MTV, and MSNBC.
CameraPlanet.com 2000 – 2002
• Founder, Chief Digital Officer
– Built digital content innovation lab from inside BNN.
– Invited early video creators to a shared video content platform
– Launched early stage website development division
OurTown Television 1983 – 2000
• Founder, Executive Producer
– Sold local news magazine show to 650,000 upstate NY cable outlets
– Grew the network to all the upstate NY NBC stations, on barter-syndication basis
– Found new, low cost and effective ways to create and distribute television
NYU Gallatin School of Individualized Study
– M.A. – Self Determined: The Past, Current Status, and Future of Truth
– B.A. in English with honors
Awards and Recognition
· Science Journalism Laureate – Purdue University
· Emmy Award – Outstanding Magazine Format Programing
· Emmy Award – “Life On Trial – AIDS Guinea Pigs”|
· Emmy (nom) With All Deliberate Speed / Exceptional Merit in Nonfiction Filmmaking
BOARDS OF DIRECTORS / VOLUNTEER WORK
Boards and Advisory Roles
· New York Video Meetup, Organizer (2012 – Current)
· Video Ink – Online publisher. Advisory Board Member
· Snakt – Video sharing platform. Advisor.
· Classwish – Advisor
· National 9/11 Memorial Museum / Donor and Advisor
· Producers Guild East (PGA) Founding Board Member
Articles: Fast Company, Nieman Reports, Columbia Journalism Review, Forbes, Huffington Post, Business Insider, Mashable, The Atlantic
Curation Nation. McGraw Hill, 2011.
Curate This, Amazon, 2015
Huffington Post: Technology
Media Post: MediaTech Insider
MediaBiz Bloggers: Thought Leaders
Forbes: Inside The Startup Economy